Other Experience & Education
Experience out of the mountains
- 1000+km motorcycle expedition: two weeks in Karnataka State, India.
- Rafting: two private descents of the Grand Canyon as Captain of an 18-foot oar rigged raft. Additional descents of the Rogue, Lower Salmon, Deschutes, White Salmon, Sykomish, Upper and Middle Owyhee, San Juan River, Labyrinth/Stillwater/Cataract Canyons.
- Sailing: 250+ days as skipper of various Drascombe Longboats (22’ open yawl rig) in the Sea of Cortez, 100+ days as skipper of Cal 27 Spectrum (27’ fin keel sloop) in San Juan Islands, Washington, and 45+ days as crew and occasional skipper aboard various Catalina 36 (fin keep sloop) in Desolation Sound, British Columbia.
- SCUBA: PADI certified Open Water Diver with diving experience in Indonesia, Salomon Islands (Wreck penetration dives to 50m), Fiji, Tonga, and coastal California.
Education and Certificates
- B.A. Literature, Reed College, 1996
- AMGA Rock Guide’s Certification
- AMGA Alpine Guide’s Certification
- AMGA Ski Guide’s course completion certificate
- Current W.F.R. and C.P.R Certification
- AVI III Avalanche Certification
- Fulbright/PAD Scholarship, Academic Year 1996-1997
- Walker Family Foundation Scholarship: for working professional guides: 2012
- Brooks Range Mountaineering Scholarship: 2014
- Live Your Dream Grants from The American Alpine Club (2014, 2015)
- Fluent speaking and reading ability in German and Spanish.